Recreation Coaches Information
Check here periodically for important Coaching information for all Recreational Coaches.
Spring 2014 - Coaches Roster (By Age Group and Team)
Please click here
- Please click below to open the Rec Coaches Meeting Information packet that was distributed to all Rec Coaches at the March 26th meeting.
Spring 2014 Rec Coaches Packet
- The Spring 2014 Rec Coaches meeting was held on Thursday, March 27th at the Cold Spring Community Center. Age-specific schedule :
6:30pm - 7:30pm : U4, U5, U6 Coaches
8:00pm - 9:00pm : U7 and older Coaches
Attendance at this meeting is mandatory, as important information regarding the Spring
2014 Season will be discussed.
- Free Rec Coaches Training Clinic : for U4, U5, U6, U8 Coaches. This clinic will be led by Soccer Rhode Island and the first 60 minutes will be practical/field demonstrations and the last 15 minutes will be theory/discussion.
Dates : Monday March 31st and Monday April 7th
Time : 5:00-6:30pm
Location : OSS Fields
Player Development Guide
- The OSS Player Development Guide outlines the goals, approach and objectives of the Ocean State Soccer School with respect to the development of youth soccer players. It is important that all OSS Coaches read, comprehend and abide by this Guide to the best of their abilities.
Link to PDF version of the Guide : please click here
Whether you are a first-time coach or have years of soccer experience, it is always important to have a well thought out Training Plan for your practices. Here are some basic guidelines for Youth Rec training sessions :
1. Choose one theme or topic to focus on for the entire session (i.e. dribbling, shooting,
2. Follow a progression from simple/basic skill instruction at the beginning of the session to
more challenging activities towards the end of the session
3. Introduce the activity briefly (20-30 seconds), demonstrate quickly and then let the kids
4. Don't be afraid to improvise if something does not work or the kids do not seem to be
having fun; move on to your next activity
5. Try to create a soccer problem the kids can solve on their own : for example, ask them how
they might stop the ball from rolling? Answer : use the sole of the foot.
Provided below are 3 examples of Training Plans for an 8-week season. Each document contains
8 pages (one page for each week with a different theme). (Click on the title to launch the pdf file)
Each plan has a "Description" that describes the setup and execution of the activity, as well as "Coaching Points" which should guide you on how to instruct the players during the activity.
U6 Training Plans (30-35 minutes in length)
U7 Training Plans (45-50 minutes in length)
U8 Training Plans (60 mins in length)